This US postage stamp of 5-cent denomination was issued as a memorial to John Ericsson, builder of the Monitor, and in connection with the unveiling of his statue by the Crown Prince of Sweden at Washington, D.C., on May 29, 1926. The subject of this stamp is a model similar to the John Ericsson memorial statue designed by J. E. Fraser.
The central design of the stamp is the white marble figure of John Ericsson seated in a large chair resting on a stone base. Upon the base appear the words “John Ericsson Memorial” and “Cents” in white Gothic letters with the numeral “5” in both corners. Extending from either side and in the rear of chair on darker stone appear the years of his birth and death, “1803-1889.” On an ornate base, above and to the rear of the figure of Ericsson, is a group of allegorical figures in white marble, of which only the center one, representing “Vision”, is shown. The background for this statue is a dark sky with darkly silhouetted evergreens showing on each side. A narrow white line border surrounds the stamp with a shield of the United States in the upper left corner and a shield of Sweden in the upper right corner. Connecting the two shields is a panel supported on each side by small ornamental brackets and containing the words “U.S. postage” in whiteface Gothic letters.
The Ericsson stamp was first placed on sale May 29, 1926, at the post offices at New York, N.Y., Chicago, 111., Minneapolis, Minn., and Washington, D.C.
Color: Gray Lilac
Mint, never hinged.
We often have multiple copies of this item in stock; the image shown is representative of what you will receive. Please be aware that centering varies with older stamp issues.
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Information We Collect
To fulfill your order, you must provide us with certain information (which you authorized Etsy to provide to us), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide us with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if you contact us directly.
Why We Need Your Information and How We Use It
We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• as needed to provide our services, such as when we use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
• when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for our mailing list;
• if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
These listings are for digital files; usually a set of digital files in different sizes. (Read the item description to see exactly what sizes are offered.) No physical item will be sent. You can print the artwork at home (quality paper recommended), or have it printed by using a local print shop, photo center, or online service.
1) Your purchase is intended for personal use only.
2) Please keep in mind that colors can vary from one monitor to another, so the colors you’re seeing online aren’t always exact.
3) The refund option is not available for instant download products. If you run into any issues please contact us and we will work to resolve any issue you may encounter. We want you to be happy with your purchase!